Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
What does “prep school intentions” mean? Reclass?

It’s the latest loophole in recruiting. Kids will play down a year so they look like studs, while saying they plan to do a post grad year. Then when they are Juniors they can start talking to coaches and see if the post grad year is really worth it.

So it’s basically gaming the system without the actual cost of reclassing. It’s pretty embarrassing and shady for clubs that allow it.

A couple of years ago, the benefit of reclassing was massive with D1 schools offering freshmen and even 8th graders. As you get older, the age advantage diminishes significantly. I would like to think parents aren’t actively gaming the system so that their child looks like a top tier middle schooler.

However, I do believe we are going to see an increase of players choosing to reclass. With the NCAA granting an extra year of eligibility due to covid, there are going to be fewer roster spots available and subsequently less scholarship money. I hope it doesn’t become like ice hockey where 2+ years between HS and college become a near necessity.

Not really sure how its a recruiting “loophole.” Coaches aren’t watching the younger classes like they used to. To go to a college coach on September 1st and say “Hey I’ve been playing 24s heres my film, take me in your 23 class” well its idiotic.

Post-grads, repeats, gap years etc are all here to stay. I genuinely hope the players who choose to do so end up with a greater opportunity than they could have before.