Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Question regarding the recent Junior National Championships this past week. I noticed many of the bigger clubs (M&D for example) were not there. There was an age requirement which stated players needed to be born after 9/1 to be eligible to play with their club team. Players born prior to 9/1 would have to play with their older club team if this makes sense. It begs the question, were some teams not entered because their rosters contained too many girls born prior to 9/1. I realize this gets into "reclassification" territory, but one of the parents brought this up at the tournament and I thought it was interesting.

M&D and SW haven't played in that tournament in a long time. It's in mid july. It used to be weeks after the typical club tournaments ended. There's typically far less competition there than a normal weekend tournament. M&D and SW would have no issue entering an on age team at any of those levels. The holdback myth constantly floated by LI parents/coaches isn't a real thing with girls. Sure there are a few here or there that may have July or August birthdays, but girls aren't repeating grades for athletic purposes the way the boys at MIAA schools do.
My daughter’s M&D team has more holdbacks than my son’s team. They would not have been able to participate without having to leave players home.