Originally Posted by Anonymous
Heard bbl is losing their youth director but trying not to say anything until after tryouts….

Sorry meant to be more specific in my first post. When you say youth director can I assume you mean the "central" youth director??????? To my recollection the "north" has a YD as well. Thanks just a parent trying to figure out if I should keep my kids in the program. Like I said it's getting pretty crappy on the BBL side of things as far as dealing with the parents concerns and questions as well as tournament logistics (BBL didn't register our team for a tourney and scrambled last minute and provided a subpar alternate tourney) also canceling practices due to WSYL for teams not in WSYL cause I guess those teams don't matter and now not making up the practices but yet going to tourneys when the boys haven't practiced in 3 weeks. All to say we got ROCKED by some nationally competitive programs, just embarrassed!!!!

BBL is running into what Tri-State did multiple years ago. Too many teams and spread too thin. They have to cover the costs of the full time coaches and employees. Do they have some talented teams ? Yes. That 2025 team is very good. But it is a matter of time before kids head for the hills to other clubs in NJ. The wheels can fall off rather quickly. For us, it is time to find a different club.

This is right on point, it did not go well for Tri-State, especially when some of their top coaches left, I think that the SHP thing is the saving grace for the moment.. Also, many kids/parents do not want to be on the B team, so dangling the Elite team carrot only goes so far. If a kid is serious about playing in college, they are not going to be satisfied playing for BBL North, Shore or whatever other region BBL tries to conquer. United has always been successful because they are good at what they do and they play in the right level tournaments. Top kids at the shore play elsewhere, so they are not going to pull kids into United with the hopes of climbing the BBL ladder. The only time an "expansion" at the Shore was successful was when Tri State was handed the 2023 shore team, and they completely blew up that up within 2 years.

At this point the majority of kids who are playing on summer lax teams will never play in college and will never even try to play in college. There is nothing wrong with this. The idea behind expansion for a club like BBL is $$$. That is all. The BBL Norths, Team 91 Wests, etc, all contribute greatly to the profits of whoever owns these clubs. Its called scaling your business. While I am sure that they would love BBL North to turn into the greatest team in the history of lacrosse, they are most likely fine with it being just a team full of kids who are having fun, getting exercise, getting better (so they can contribute on their Town and HS teams) and playing some lax. There are a ton of tournaments where teams like this can compete. There are many teams out there that will get smoked by any half-decent Town team. Their parents money is just as green as that of the great players. Again, there are more kids playing summer lax that have no interest in college lacrosse than there are kids who are chasing a D1 scholarship.

preach! this is the most realistic, spot on post I've seen on BOTC. kudos. for real.