Originally Posted by Anonymous
It totally needs to be run much better than it was. It Does not make people feel like it was a very fair chance. I think that’s why it’s getting more complaints! The way LI tryout was run last year was terrible. Coach’s for the most part know the girls before going there. So, very best so usually move forward. People just want their daughters to have a fair chance at tryouts to prove themselves

A few years ago when there was only UA underclass team the tryouts were a 2 day event. Day 1 was a lot of 1v1 2v2 and small sided stuff, they did draw and ground ball drills etc. day 2 was all scrimmages with cuts at the halfway point.
Now they go straight to games, if your kid is a goalie or defender who ends up on a strong offensive team the ball may never get down to her end.
Would be helpful if they shuffled the players around a bit to different teams after awhile.
Also this year the tryout is about a week before the tournament.. barely time for a practice or two..
Totally agree regarding how they do the tryout - that's why is shows that the tryout is not "legit". How can anyone be seen with that layout. They know who they are taking (minus maybe 2-3 girls) before the tryouts start - it's been admitted by evaluators. If your daughter is lucky enough to play for the "it" club team and/or "it" HS - then great and congrats. But if your daughter doesn't and never makes the team, it DOES NOT mean she's not the BEST. Making or not making UA in NO WAY defines you as a player. Period.

So now it's "luck" and the team that you play for? Nothing to do with ability, athleticism, effort etc...? I am in agreement that parents of players who are trying out should have nothing to do with UA coaching or evaluating but these same complaints come about every year. Many of the parents of players who do not make the team are bitter so they try to knock the selection process and or diminish the accomplishment of making the team. I have been around this sport for a long time and I have had my children tryout for UA many times, only one was fortunate enough or strong enough to earn a spot on the team but I never complained when they didn't make it. September 1st is always a very telling time.