Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
180 girls tried out last year.

Out of that 180, how many parents do we think have a reasonable gripe? They select 24 players, how many other "deserving" as they say players attended the tryout? There will always be a small number of players who are capable / deserving who do not make it due to the inherent limitations ie "position" and "roster size". They only take 2 goalies, it is reasonable to say that there are a few additional goalies who are on par with the 2 that make it. Most years they most likely take 5/6 defenders, 6/7 attackers and the balance of the team is made up of versatile athletic midfielders who can play multiple positions. I am sure the coaches want at least two left handed attackers so if your daughter is a right handed attacker she is probably fighting it out for 1 of 4 spots not an easy task. I get it, they never should let parents of players who are trying out be involved but from what i have seen over the years UA has done a very good job at selecting the teams.

Realistically there are 20 - 30 players (probably 25) in each grad year from Long Island who are legitimate Top Tier Recruits. These are the players who receive offers and for the most part choose to go too the traditional Top 5-10-15 College Programs. We all know the schools: Maryland, North Carolina, Northwestern, Syracuse, Virginia, Penn, Princeton, Florida, Boston College, Stony Brook (although SBU skews the numbers) Notre Dame, Penn State. These teams finish the season in the Top 20 if not the Top 10 - 15 just about every year. Then throw in some of others like USC, Loyola etc... and these are the schools that consistently bring in the best players. Long Island does not send 50 or 60 girls per year to the Top Programs, the number is in the 20's just about every year.

There are probably 10 - 15, maybe 20 players who do not make the team that are as deserving as a number of the players who do get selected . It does not always come down to politics, and I have yet to see a player selected who is totally out of place on the team. Maybe I missed it but I have also not seen a truly Top Tier player like Sam Apuzzo, Kylie Ohlmiller, Jamie Ortega, Ally Kennedy, etc... not make it.

They can't take everyone so there will be some excellent players who get snubbed (but not many) the reason players do not make it is not always nefarious or political.

On point !