Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
UA tryouts were well run and lots of great action. For once, it was nice to just sit back and enjoy watching the games and the boys play without having to worry about scores, what teams you were playing next, playoffs, etc. The boys on his team did a great job bonding and dividing up the playing time themselves. By the end of day one, they were calling each other's names on the field instead of just pinnie numbers. Overall, a great group of young men on the field from all the teams. We will definately do this again next year.

I disagree - total waste of time. I thought it was nothing but a huge money grab. Literally hundreds of kids of all different abilities - many looking like non-starters on JV. This really should be invite only or a two step process where there are tryouts to make the real tryout. Like the Nassau/Suffolk showcase. There were way too many kids on each team for such short games on only two fields. Coaches on the sidelines were basically gone midway through the night. At best some kids were seeing 1/2 or less than half a game depending on how many at each position. My son played on a team with 7 attack - tell me how that works equitabily in 20 minutes of time. Unless they change the format and make it more exclusive, my son won't do it again or we'll go to another region like New England.

Maybe my son got lucky with his team assignment. However, he had a great time with the other boys and feels he got a real self evaluation of his talent level based on who he was playing with and against.

I do agree that some of the talent level may not have been up to snuff since it was an open tryout but that's what happens at these things. As for the Nassau/Suffolk tryouts, many boys do not get the chance since coaches are doing favors and some kids who should be there are not. Both systems are flawed but fixable.