Originally Posted by Anonymous
Moving on to a more productive discussion... Can someone help explain the recruiting process? How much is on the kid to contact schools of interest? How influential are club and high school coaches with guiding kids to schools? Are club coaches calling the shots or do the just guide and facilitate things? How does a kid know what the right level is, D1 vs. D3?

I'm not interested in debating which club it's better, just some general guidance on how it usually plays out.

I think that the club coaches can offer a lot of guidance. If they have been part of the recruiting process for a while, they usually have a good feel for where your kid can play, no harm in asking. Obviously, as we can see from some of the posts here, it is in the club's best interest to get kids recruited, that is their business. I also think that, as a parent, you need to be realistic about where your kid can play. It's not too hard to attend a high level tournament and pick out the kids that are clearly top D1 material. By the end of sophomore year in high school, you should probably have a good feel for where you kid can play, now you just need to consider where you kid falls academically.