Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
from my older sons experience, some kids are re classing and planning on a PG year at a prep school, or a prep year in military academy. the fact that they are playing down for that purpose is not unusual and has been going on for at least 10 years that I have been around watching nephews and such. I know that many reclass are extremely young for their grades like June-August birthdays, so an extra year of school is understandable, especially in Covid times. Once kids are Sophomores and juniors it really shouldn't matter given they all play high school lacrosse together. College coaches dont care if they have older more mature players when they enter college.
It's called cheating. Plain and simple. Play by the rules. Reclass. Then it's not cheating. My son would be embarrassed to play down - even if it was on a team filled with reclasses his age.

Frankly, a lot of the reclasses that I see in NJ are not really that great at either level. Obviously, there are exceptions, but most do it simply because they cannot compete at their age group because of size, athleticism, etc.. As for the kids that claim that they are going to PG a year, my guess is that the majority do not. I agree that there are top tier kids that reclass because the school they committed to told them to PG a year for rostering purposes, but this is definitely a rare occurrence which happens late in high school.