Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Agree, these lists are 90% ego (clubs, kids, HS). Since you have been there can you shed some light on 1. How do you get invited to those showcases without being in a top club? 2. What kind of indications did you get from these schools before Sept. 1st? 3. What were his grades like? That alone can be the game-changer. TIA

Not the original poster but my older guy played on a top club and they got him in. all the top showcases have kids from all over not just the top club Have your club/HS coach make the call. Highlight film is always good. Between both club and HS coach they should be able to recommend the appropriate showcases based on your sons level. Black card, Maverick and D1 showcase by CB Laxers are all very good. There are so many.
Also prospect days are important. Before you go to a prospect day, make sure you fill out the online questionnaire from the school and follow up with emails and Video Your son should be sending the emails not the parent. Make sure you include GPA and anything else related to grades such national honor society. Or honor roll etc. they care very much about grades. Include why you want to attend the school. Do not put because of lacrosse. Talk about what you want in your future/ career.
Good luck and stay positive. Don’t let him get discouraged if he does not hear back from his first or second choice. Have multiple schools to choose from.

Since my son did not play for a top HS/club he had both those coaches call and recommend him to the top showcases. Can also use a video. Grades were important but if the grades are not awful he will able to get in to a good school if he is high enough on a coaches list. Believe it or not the the Patriot league cares more about grades than most of the Ivy League. Don’t leave out any school. I was shocked with the schools that called my son. Never dreamed it was possible. The advice above is great. I agree with all of it. My son did not put as much info in the emails as the person who replied did. Just gave his schedule, attached a video to every email and said he was interested in playing for that school. Always left his email and cell number in each email to coaches. Send emails through sports recruits. Well worth the money. Fill out entire profile in sports recruits. Always fill out all colleges of interest or may have interest questionnaires. Do it now and update with each new video. Video is most important. Try to get good competition in the video as the coaches are not fooled. They can tell how good the competition is in a video. Only top plays on video. If you are debating whether a clip should go into the video it probably should not. Best plays first. Show grit , speed, and IQ. Being an athlete in the video is important. Recommend showcases: Maverik Showtime, Philly Showcase and Blackcard are the best invite showcases. Need to start trying to get in 10 months in advance. I heard lacrosse masters is good but my son never attended any of those. I don’t think you need an invite. Best anyone can get in showcases are Elite 100 and the regional tryouts run by FLG. Every coach was at the top 50 game. The actual tournament did not draw as many coaches as the Nassau / Suffolk tryouts. It is a must to sign up for that. Beware selections are all political and not based on talent but the colleges know that. Any other questions just ask.