Originally Posted by Anonymous
No one said that playing at a high level is a bad thing. I was addressing the question of “Bypassing Middle School Lax for Club Team”. Yes some of these kids are “very into this sport”. And I know that this summer, or next, many will be trying to catch the eye of a college recruiter at some tournament with their club team. They’re not going to get that from the Mid School team. I know that. If they can play at that level then of coarse they should. No one ever said not to play club.

The point I was trying to make was that if you look at Mid School sports as solely a place to excel in the sport then you will be disappointed. Very few schools have a large enough talent pool where they can cut all the new or weaker players. They need to keep some of them on the team.

However there is a lot to take away from the experience besides lacrosse and I don’t think you should bypass it just because you will have to play with some kids who just picked up a stick. (BTW, don’t be surprised when some of those same kids are competing with the better players for a position on the HS team. Some very good lax players didn’t start playing until middle school).

The same could be said of a gifted piano player. They can still choose to participate in the school band and enjoy it while taking private lessons. I don’t think they would depend on the school band teacher to help them learn those 400 songs.

Bottom line is they are 13 and 14 year olds. They should be enjoying themselves. Hopefully they are able to do it on the lacrosse field with their friends and not just at the movies. They can be as serious as they want on the club teams and that doesn’t mean they can’t also enjoy the school team.

Agreeing with you.