Originally Posted by Anonymous
Nope. It's the cost of equipment, club teams, tournaments & recruiting events. The soccer club system also excludes poor kids. I agree that lacrosse should be by age until high school. But looky here our boys are in HS and still people blather on about this. If your kid is a top D1 talent he'll get found regardless of age/club/school. If he's on the margins maybe just pick a D3 that fits his academics and he'll get to actually play. Or go to a big football school and play MCLA
Equipment is not expensive, club dues get compensated, its the parents like you that create the divide. I honestly have no idea what MCLA is, but I know my son loves lax and none of his friends have ever played as they see it as a rich white kids sport.
You are spot on. $3000 club fees, $500 showcase fees, $35,000 to PG, and clubs convincing kids they can't succeed without them. The bar has been raised to benefit the rich and 99% white kids. The underprivileged don't even try anymore and that's showing up on LI big time. 7 of the top 10 boys in the class of 2021 are private school kids, schools that cost $25,000 plus. How is that possible? How does it happen in any sports that 7 of the top 10 players are rich and white?

This is the definition of white privilege and systematic racism. Rich white parents gaming a system that ultimately takes opportunities away from the underprivileged.

I'd love to see a HBO sports or something like that about the white privilege lacrosse holdback system and how the other sports all go by year. Where and how it started and how people justify it. "I'm giving my son a better chance to get a college scholarship!". How about get your son to work harder like everyone else before you go the lori loughlin route.

The difference is that what Lori Loughlin did was illegal. Some may question the ethics of the "holdback" but no law against it.