Originally Posted by Anonymous
Nope. It's the cost of equipment, club teams, tournaments & recruiting events. The soccer club system also excludes poor kids. I agree that lacrosse should be by age until high school. But looky here our boys are in HS and still people blather on about this. If your kid is a top D1 talent he'll get found regardless of age/club/school. If he's on the margins maybe just pick a D3 that fits his academics and he'll get to actually play. Or go to a big football school and play MCLA
Equipment is not expensive, club dues get compensated, its the parents like you that create the divide. I honestly have no idea what MCLA is, but I know my son loves lax and none of his friends have ever played as they see it as a rich white kids sport.
You are spot on. $3000 club fees, $500 showcase fees, $35,000 to PG, and clubs convincing kids they can't succeed without them. The bar has been raised to benefit the rich and 99% white kids. The underprivileged don't even try anymore and that's showing up on LI big time. 7 of the top 10 boys in the class of 2021 are private school kids, schools that cost $25,000 plus. How is that possible? How does it happen in any sports that 7 of the top 10 players are rich and white?

This is the definition of white privilege and systematic racism. Rich white parents gaming a system that ultimately takes opportunities away from the underprivileged.

Not quite lost. I am a minority and my kids play the sport and there is no racism that I have ever encountered. I've actually been given more opportunities than my friends kids.