Originally Posted by Anonymous
Say what you want but YJ coaching for the most part and especially with their top teams is much better. My daughter is also a transfer and there is no comparison the coaching at her age on YJ is fantastic. That being said I actually think the talent on the top TG team in the age group is better so if the saying holds about playing with better kids holds true it's a toss up between which team would help her improve more. I coach a younger level town team and have to say I now watch every minute of her YJ practices ,I have learned more from these 3 practices coaching wise than I did all of last year. YJ practices have a lot of team drills and team concepts while the TG practices almost seemed to be a try-out with 1 on 1 etc and individual concepts.Just my experience so far.

I can appreciate that, but it also brings forth the following question.. Am I letting my daughter play travel lacrosse so that the “Team” can get better or for “her” to get better? I don’t have the answer but I’m curious about other opinions

Learning how to play a team concept game does in my opinion make one a better individual player, ie taking the ball to the goal with your head up so you can see the double and make the correct pass etc. Honestly I am not sure what college coaches look for be it individual athletic ability , high lacrosse IQ,my guess is all the above and more.
Unfortunately, most parents don’t feel the same way you do. From my experience with town, HS and travel ball, the focus seems to be on the individual level. It’s sad, but that’s the way it is. I was at a HS girl’s game on Monday and during the second half I overheard a conversation between two of the parents from the winning team. They were complaining that their daughter (who I think was in 8th grade) was not getting the ball enough and that the two superstars of the team were ball hogs and only pass to each other. One of the girls they complained about is a top rated player. I don’t think it mattered that their team was winning or that their daughter is fortunate enough to play with such a talented player. They were just upset that their kid didn’t get the ball enough.

Its simple, when you get the ball you have to make things happen with it. If you don't then why is it someone else's fault.

When your daughter gets the ball it is time for parents to take action. Get up and start screaming as loud as you can to "go to goal". It doesn't matter if she way outside the fan, it doesn't matter that there are 4 defenders on her, it doesn't matter that 2 of her teamates are wide open, it doesn't matter that she has limited dodging ability and is going to try to bull her way through. Heck if she does this every time she gets the ball and ends up with 4 or 5 goals at the end of the game, its says she's a great player, except she tried to do 15 times, got stripped, put up weak shots etc........ don't put your daughter up to this, its bad lacrosse. Two girls can each score 5 goals in a game, one can look elegant and efficient with a few assist to go along, and the other "go to goal" girl looks ridiculus to everyone.
Maybe if you dress her up in neon colors she’ll look even better going to goal.