Originally Posted by Anonymous
That is a familiar sentiment among all the teams. The 25's are in disarray... except for Exp Ch....oiled machine..... R U S H isnt that good. Competitive but nothing to concern yourself with. So far I havent seen any stand out teams. Teams with potential, but all have major flaws. WSYL is a joke. Move it to East coast and call it the LI Invitational..... then it may be worth participating.

I think only top 4 teams should go... remaining qualifers are just cannon fodder. Love the idea of moving it to east coast. Has there been a team outside the tri-state area that's made it to the championship game?

Realistically, you can send the top 12 teams. All but Express are just going out there to see mountains. If 91 AAAA plays a complete game (something it seems incapable of doing against competitive teams) then they are still a very distant 2nd. I agree with the poster that, despite our rose colored views, our boys are playing in a relatively weak LI class. Maybe next year when teams start really consolidating and the holdbacks are fully through puberty you may see some teams make a jump, but right now it's Express and everybody else. I saw 91 at the box tourney. Some of those kids are the smallest in the grade level. It may take years for them to catch up unless they replace them next year. R U S H seemed much improved due to recruiting big kids. Watch for that trend to continue.

I have to say I have a much different opinion of this age group as I have a multi sport athlete and in all other sports this grade is actually more advanced then the grades above and below them. So I believe what you have is a changing in thought process of specialization in one sport until they get to HS which I personally think is a positive.

In the next year or 2 when this grade decides to direct their energy into 1 or maybe 2 sports instead of 4 or 5 then I think you will see 2 things happen. The grade will be as good or better then the grades around it and the kids that have specialized in lacrosse at 10/11/12 will get passed by the true athletes of the age group when they dedicate themselves to their craft.

#1: We all have multi sport athletes.

#2: Maybe in HS things may change, but right now, we are a weaker group than the 3 grades above and below us.

#3: Wait til puberty. Until then, no one has any idea.

It all depends on the town you are from whether you can consider yourself a true multi sport athlete.

If you decided to go out for the middle school basketball team and they had 25-30 kids try out for 7/8th grade teams you don't have to put much effort into it. If you reside in certain towns where 160 kids try out for the same sport you can't just be an athlete and make the team. You have to put down the lax stick for a few months and play and practice basketball.

So I believe peoples definition of Multi-Sport Athlete absolutely varies.

Agreed. Its all relative. Most of you people need to relax.