Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Specializing do you mean club sports. My son pays club lax that’s it as far as club. To be quite honest between practices, training, tournaments and money, that’s probably all the club sports he can do. He plays school football, school wrestling, school lacrosse as well. But I guess he only specializes in lax, if that’s what you mean.

I mean there are many kids that play club soccer and school soccer, travel baseball and school baseball, travel football and school football, travel basketball and school basketball, travel ice hockey and school ice hockey. volleyball or wrestling.. in addition to lacrosse.

So to answer your question Yes you child specializes in lax.

Ok, then in that case, the previous poster is incorrect. Having older kids (one HS senior and one sophomore in college), I've seen how this plays out. The kids who get recruited, go to top schools, and are generally the top players in their age group have, with no exceptions, all played competitive travel lax. In addition, they have almost all played other sports in MS and HS. Many at a very high level. I can not think of more than an athlete or two, from my youngest (2025) to my oldest that wasn't, by your definition, a "multi-sport" athlete.

When someone says that their child specializes in a sport, it means that they play that sport exclusively, year round, with no time or interest in any other sports.

From my experience, the kids that were the best lacrosse players in 7th/8th were still very good as HS seniors. The only limiting factor was growth. Kids who were small and skilled, or developed earlier, could dominate in youth lacrosse. If they stay small, they become varsity role players. Every team needs them though. A kid who was skilled in MS then grows 10" and puts on 70 pounds, however, becomes dominant. But make no mistake, despite what your wife says, size matters.

This is just a reflection of my experience. Obviously there are exceptions (Brennan O'Neill may have focused on strictly lacrosse, for example), but thats what I've seen.