Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
it is a great event and the teams who do it have a blast. what is wrong with a tournament that brings together some of the best in the country? last year was great

Hardly the best teams in the country. Last year’s winner needed to bring in new kids and a new Coach just to claim they are the best in the world. What a crock of BS. They were so good that they lost in pool play at NLF a week later and bailed on their Sunday schedule. What is the message there? The only beneficiary is the club that keeps promoting their WSYL wins against sub-par competition and forcing its players and parents to attend. Complete farce and disgrace - save your money for clinics and get your kid on Varsity as an underclassman: that carries much more weight on a lax resume than a WSYL championship (Yawn).

This is 100% true. My youngest is a '25 (I also have a '20 and a '21, the middle guy went to Denver, the older guy did not) and I can tell you from experience that after this year, no one cares about travel lacrosse other than club directors and parents of kids still playing middle school lacrosse. Sure, there are tourneys and the kids all play year round and get better, and that's awesome. But, club lacrosse becomes a vehicle to get to varsity. By next year, many of the boys will be playing JV for their schools while the truly top kids will be playing on varsity. The focus shifts completely. Kids play club to keep up with the ever-increasing talent of HS lax on LI. While the elite talent (top 5 or 6 kids on LI) will get looked at club showcases in 10th and 11th grade, everyone below them will attend individual showcases and go to prospect camps for the schools that they have interest in. Thats the reality. 95% of the commits you read about had to go out on their own, contact schools and coaches, send in film, and go to prospect camps. My advice would be to enjoy this year and not get caught up in the nonsense. Denver was a pretty good experience (a lot of really bad teams and a few good ones), but in reality, no one cares about it when you get home.