Originally Posted by Anonymous
Just a food for thought for all you lax parents looking through love glasses! We all love and want the best for our boys, but take it from a parent that has been through this process already, and yes at this age my son was probably in the top five players on the island. 70 percent of kids that play lacrosse don't play pass high school. This is something your coaches or anybody in travel will ever tell you! If he's playing because he's keeping busy and having fun that's great. But if he's playing hoping to get a ride you better be putting money aside for college because when my son hit 15 he put down his stick and that was it. I know a lot of people and kids are dropping like flies in lacrosse!

Thank you for the insight. Asking seriously, why do you think your son gave it up? Looking back, what would you have done differently regarding lax.

Agreed, it is always good to have some perspective, and a reality check. Not the original poster, but as it relates to my son, he plays for a high level club team, but, as he has gotten older, I have personally stepped back from getting too involved. I do not force anything on him, such as attending things like showcases (which I feel are mostly a waste of time). I let him make the decisions, and he has to live by them, good or bad. While I think that lacrosse may give him a leg up in the college admissions process, if he decides to go that route, I push him more towards other sports to avoid the burn-out. Frankly, I would prefer that he excel at some other sport like track where he could actually get some college money if he were any good.

They are all different and continue on or quit for their own reasons. I have three sons and all played lax. None were ever on the "top" team for their grade level but they are all decent players. #1 went on to play in college and won a NCAA ring. # 2 quit all sports in 9th grade and developed other interests. # 3 is a 2024 players. It looks now like he will play at least through high school if not further but that decision is entirely up to him.
Whatever your son decides to do just cherish the time you have watching him play because it passes by too fast. Of he moves on to other interests support him in that the same way you support him in lax.
Life is all about the journey.

You are blessed. But I think you're way of thinking have a lot to do with it. Thank you for sharing. NCAA ring, wow! Can only imagine how proud.