Originally Posted by Anonymous
How many of these elite level teams are ok with their players being elite level multi sport athletes? How many of these kids can juggle playing elite level club lacrosse and another elite level club sport? It seems like kids are so specialized now...limiting themselves to one sport early on. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

I need a board like this for Maryland youth soccer.

Coaches love having multi-sport athletes - lax is spring and summer and that's in-season

Football and wrestling dont interfere with lacrosse because they are fall and winter sports.

Any high school or college coach always asks about grades first and what other sports do you play

That is so overstated today. There is no way a kid can play for two elite clubs in today's environment. Sure kids play other sports but usually as a hobby or so they can check the box as a two sport athlete. The kids serious about football, basketball, wrestling all do that year round as well. A kid can be elite in two sports but hard to play for two elite teams. In HS it works to just play for the HS football or wrestling team

This is kind of what I was asking. I know a lot of kids play 2 or more sports...but how many of them are able to juggle it at the elite level in each sport? Is it even possible in today’s youth sports with the level of commitment that is required to play elite level anything?

We sat down and made the decision that if we are really going to pay the money and pursue lacrosse at an Elite level then we would settle down on soccer and other sports. For example. There is a large tournament this weekend in AA county his soccer team is in. He has practice this weekend for lax. We let his soccer coach know that even though it is soccer season, we will not be attending any games that fall during his lax practice times. Obviously the opposite would be to tell his lax coach he would need to miss practice to go to soccer. Either way you are letting someone down and I am not sure how to juggle it properly without just fully committing to one. We all hear the encouraging other sports theory from coaches. That also comes with the caveat we will encourage another kid to step up and take your kids spot when he isn't at practice or doesn't know the plays. Hope this helped a bit