Originally Posted by Anonymous
I have an older son who continually lost playing time to holdbacks on his teams for years. He is now a senior in high school, and 90% of the kids he lost time to have quit lacrosse or will not be playing in college. Mine will be.
Parents reclass kids for their own egos. It catches up with them almost every time.

#truth. Also.... Look in the mirror, at your spouse, at your families..... If you don't have a lineage or history of legitimate athletes, chances are strong, the holdback provides a momentary advantage in youth, but by HS, the cream rises to the top.

I'm guessing when you're looking at your mirror, you see the second coming of Bo Jackson, your mom and dad look like Jeter's parents and your grandfather is Jim Brown. Listen genius.. there's always exception to the rule.

Spoken like a true obsessive compulsive delirious holdback parent, who never got past JV-anything. Sorry, it ain’t happening this time around either. Keep liv’n your fantasy while you can, as it fades more each and every day. By the time all of your sons non-holdback friends are starting to see playing time on varsity, your holdback will be exactly where you were at his age. Picking splinters out of his butt, watching the action from the side line. Inevitable.