Originally Posted by Anonymous
Has anyone attended any of the 22 tryouts? Any noticeable movement of players?

I think it's ridiculous clubs even have tryouts going into 10th grade. Why would kids be moving around at this point? You really going to cut a kid now with no where to go?

Really? So a team should feel obligated to keep a player on the roster just because he was on the team the previous year? What if he got passed over and no longer can compete at the level needed? What if he or his parents have been a problem? Players move around when they think they have a better opportunity on another team.

Tryouts prove commitment to the team. Can't assume a player is returning unless you have a tryout.

Yes really. If a kid has been with a team for years is it right to cut him going into 10th grade? If they aren't pulling their weight have a talk with them and their parents and let them know. Let them know they may not play much if they stay and it would be smart to explore other opportunities. But do it early so that they have time to find another home. Just coldly cutting a kid at this point is tough because there isn't much movement and there aren't a lot of open spots on other teams.

Most girls clubs stop tryouts going into high school btw.

If you are an observant parent you should know your kid might be on the fence and you should hit a few tryouts. Be proactive. Maybe you should reach out to the coach and see where he stands. Nothing is guaranteed unless your player is clearly the best at his position.

My kid is just fine. It was a general observation and statement. My son has been on the same team for years and isn't going anywhere.