Originally Posted by Anonymous
I'm not going to call out the name of the club (in fear that the kid will drive over and kick my butt) but how can a kid that will be 16 during the school year be eligible to play at the 24 age group? I have no issue with being held back a year. My son has a summer birthday and was held back in KG (to give him a head start in tinker toys) but 2 years is a bit excessive. I mean he will literally be 20 years old when he graduates.

You shouldnt call out anyone. Your son is getting an advantage the majority of children dont get. Playing down in age. The majority of children born on your sons same birthday will never get that advantage in YOUTH sports. You always will. Your only complaint is that someone is doing it more than you. Hilarious.

The holdback/reclass/prefirst lacrosse world is really getting bad when the holdbacks start calling out the other holdbacks for being to old !!

I am all for age based lacrosse. My son would be fine either way and I could careless why a parent holds their kid back (we had ours and the decision was well before he picked up a lacrosse stick). It's their decision, just like it was ours. Does it happen to work in my favor sure but we made the decision in KG, not middle school. So sports had zero factor and I have no issue a parent holds a kid back a year for sports. If you have to hold a kid back 2 years, then I have an issue but my concern is equal to choosing Diet Coke or Pepsi for lunch. At the end of the day if your kid is going to be 20 when he or she graduates (sports or no sports) they should be going to PG instead of being held back another year. As others mentioned he is more than likely not even eligible to play his senior year due to his age.

The thing people have to remember is that the rules use to allow recruitment in 8 and 9th grade, so who cares if they can not play their senior year, worst case there are club tournaments. Now the rules have changed, it still does not matter because if the kid is good he will commit as a Jr and not have to play Sr year anyway. So being 20 and a Sr does not really matter......

Now for some real talk (as the boys say).....These boys are in 8th grade, its time to forget the HB argument. I agree that 16 is ridiculous, and yes it happens, last year the 2023 Crabs and Madlax Dogs, both had multiple 16 year olds, so its not something new. also remember that some of the kids that you are referring to played against you last year and they were already 2 years older than your kid, so why complain now. Here is the thing if we are having this discussion it means that next year we are hoping that our kids play Varsity or worst case JV, but the kids they will be playing with and against will be 3 to 4 years older (sophomores, juniors & seniors) and would have been working out for years (bigger faster stranger).

Recommendation: Use this year to prepare for next year because its going to come very quickly (unfortunately) and if your son is still whining about holdbacks or even has that in his head he won't make it in HS Lax, as there will always be kids much older.