Originally Posted by Anonymous
Why are Holdbacks the single greatest concern to the game right now? Honest question so please don't attack me

Obviously, so long as tournaments are grade based, not much can be done about the age of a player so long as he is playing in his proper graduating year. I think that the bigger issue is when teams, and not pointing to any NJ teams, bring in older players (by graduation year) to compete in a tournament. For example (and I have no direct knowledge of what actually happened), there are allegations being made that certain teams that played the NLF championship this past weekend had 2023 kids playing for the 2024 team, that, in my opinion, is pretty underhanded. I'm sure that plenty of teams in NJ have kids that are older as compared to their peers in their graduating class, but nothing improper with that under current rules.

From what I have learned, parents have a "reasonable expectation" that their kids will be matched up against others in their age range. Hopefully this will never have to be tested in court.

This! Well said.

Unfortunately, you are dealing with a system that is completely "unreasonable" at this point

I'm not sure a court would have much sympathy for the "but other people do it" excuse. Especially when dealing with children. Again, I hope that there is never a reason to test this in court.