[quote=Anonymous][quote=Anonymous][quote=Anonymous]With tryout season approaching, I am interested in your thoughts?

Scenario: Your son plays on a very good (winning) 2024 lacrosse team. Your son is not a starter on the team but does see some time on the field. Your son is happy being on this team, is a good teammate, and the coaches and his teammates all like him. At the same time, however, your son is disappointed in the fact that no matter how much he improves in practice and makes plays during games he still doesn’t see any additional playing time. (He has been on this same team since the 4th grade and has had the same coach for the last four years) Over that course of time he has been recognized by his coaches with individual awards at the end of each season but that still hasn't amounted to more playing time.

Your son believes that if he played on another AA team or even went down to a single A team he would atleast be afforded the opportunity to become a starter or atleast become a more essential member of a team. But at the same time you son is scared to tryout for different teams because he doesn't want to be considered a traitor by his current teammates for leaving.

As the parent, should you encourage your son to stay on his current AA team and just work to get better even if it means not seeing a lot of playing time or do you encourage him to tryout for other teams because playing time is the most important part for his development. Kids like being on a winning team, I get it, but is just being on a very good team helping your son if your son is not playing?

No jokes please. As a parent, I know I am not the only one going through something like this.

We are in the EXACT same position and it's very stressful and heavily debate it daily. It should not be this way.
We asked a HIGHLY successful MIAA "A" high school coach his point of view and he said reps on the field makes you better...period...amen. Therefore, play on the team that gets you the most playing time but still at your playing level.
Good luck to you and I wish there were more forums that were contributive and supportive.