Originally Posted by Anonymous
I'm sure this will be unpopular but age, size or talent isn't the primary issue. The largest factor in favor of Maryland teams playing better in this age group is team chemistry. They play year round together and don't have town teams that they also play for. Most Maryland teams have played at least 30 games as a group this year and practices 60+ times, in some cases 100+ games together over three years at this point in 5th grade. It's hard for any team, even with equal talent to match up with a team that has played that much together.

The gap will close, it always does and alway will. We should all relax and stop having the same arguments. Who cares if they don't go to the WSYL.

This is so true...... My son played against the Hawks this weekend and we had 4-6 practices before that tournament. They are very talented, don't get me wrong but the chemistry they have puts them over the top. The team d , knowing where the other guy is or will be, the clears, the cuts and feeds from the attack, and their riding. Their riding was more aggressive and high speed than my oldest son's jv team. That's effort, and getting 5th graders to go that hard on rides is done in practice, lots of practices together.