Originally Posted by baldbear
Congratulations to Maryland today. Team has depth of talent which helps when a program has a legacy. BC has a lot of talent graduating so it will interesting to see how that program progresses.

Congratulations to Adelphi at D2.

As I head out for some food ( and beer ) a congratulations to Middlebury in D3. Game delayed for weather but they are up 14-8 with 3:12 to go. Middlebury is D3’s “ Maryland “ in terms of a legacy of competitive teams which of course helps with recruiting.

It was I who had the task of following the HS class of 2013 through college and while the very top teams keep their players the defections do begin fairly high in the rankings. Another colleague was tasked with following early commitments and defections. This data, along with other considerations, resulted in the change in recruitment rules.

Enjoy your summer. Remember these players are student athletes and I wish all the seniors future success.

"Team has depth of talent which helps when a program has a legacy" ? Not sure what your point is. If they have depth of talent they did not use it today. 16 players played for Maryland.

"BC has a lot of talent graduating so it will interesting to see how that program progresses. " Progresses? BC has been to the final four three straight years. Most of the top programs have a lot of talent graduating. Maryland started 8 seniors plus a graduate student in the championship game. I would say they have a lot of talent graduating as well. In fact Maryland has more talent graduating than BC. Maryland played zero freshmen, box score "live stats" says BC played zero freshmen as well but pretty sure one freshman saw action for BC.

My take is... The best HS players tend to go to the best college programs. Those players continue to do well even if they do not see much playing time as freshmen. They work hard and earn playing time and when they are Jr's and Sr's they become major contributors. Last year JMU was loaded with seniors who were major contributors, this year Maryland was loaded with seniors that were major contributors.