Originally Posted by Anonymous

Schools that come to mind are: Binghamton, Brown, Bucknell, Colgate, Columbia, UConn, Cornell, Delaware, Harvard, Ohio State, Rutgers, Villanova, Yale.

Is it an admissions issue? Is it funding? is it coaching?

I guess my question is... If it can be done at Stony Brook why not at these schools?

Location, Location, Location (and cheap in-State tuition)
[/quote]

After reading several responses and giving it some thought i think it is a combination of factors.

The biggest factor is talent. There is not enough talent to go around. Year in and year out the majority of the best players choose to go to the traditional power programs.

Coaching is next on the list. Not all coaches are good. Coaches are not all good at identifying talent, recruiting, developing talent, X's and O's, motivating players etc...

University policies is next. Not all programs are funded equally . Not all programs have the same flexibility with admissions.

We are seeing a little more parity but for the most part the top programs are still getting the majority of the top players every year and that is why they are at the top consistently.

Final 8 Teams: Maryland, Boston College, North Carolina, Northwestern, Syracuse, Virginia, Princeton, Denver. All but Denver are traditional powers.

My guess is that if Notre Dame or Loyola had been given the 8th Seed then Denver (the only non seeded team) and only non traditional power would be out.

Hopefully as the sport continues to grow we will also see a little more parity.