Originally Posted by Anonymous
Penn state was in the final 4 a few years ago.

Penn State not a top 10-15 team the last two years...8-9 this year, i looked at their record...best win, 1goal against an overrated Hopkins team...like someone said before,all well and good you play a tough schedule, you need to win some of them, Penn State lost to every good team they played, UMD by 11 goals also...Just like upstart Michigan, i have a hard time seeing a team in the top ten with multi 10+ goal game loses

I don't recall anyone saying that Penn State should be ranked in the Top 10 this year. What was said is: Penn State is a one of the Top 10 - 15 Programs. They are one of the 10 - 15 programs that have finished the season ranked in the Top 20 in each of the past 5 - 7 years. Some teams win a game over a ranked team every now and then, some teams are ranked in the top 20 every now and then. The best programs consistantly finish the season ranked in the Top 20. There are about 15 Programs that are always in the mix and PSU is one of them.

Thats the point, without their name, they would not have been ranked #18 last year with a 10-10 record...so the ranked in the top 20 the last 5-7 year argument wouldnt work...now this year 8-9 def not top 20 team, so last 2 years not top 20 team, still top 10-15 program? next year when outside top 20, thats 3 years, still top 10-15 program? how far out do you go out before not top 10-15 program...quick question, psu was ranked pretty high to start the last two years no?

Not sure what you have against PSU. What programs do you think should be considered stronger? What program has done better over the past 5 - 7 years?

Because of the limited number of quality teams you can not use a teams record as an accurate barometer to gauge how strong they are.

Who cares? You two should let it go. This person made the stand that they are a top 15 team, some years yes, some years no. I’m sure his/her kid goes there or will be going there, you will not convince them otherwise. It’s a proud parent thing. Decent team, great, good luck. Let’s move on, tons of D1 games and match ups to talk about. All the sudden NW may be the one to watch.

Could not let it go... and no, my daughters do not go to PSU and younger one will not be attending. Just can't stand BS... Penn State is definitely one of the Top 15 Programs. 2019 maybe a down year and they still have an RPI Rank of "18"... Thats pretty darn good.

Since 2010 here is where they finished the season ranked in the Coaches Poll:

2010 - 17
2011 - 15
2012 - 11
2013 - 6
2014 - 13
2015 - 5
2016 - 4 - - Made it to Final Four
2017 - 3 - - Made it to Final Four
2018 - 18

2019 - 25

Find us more than 15 programs that have done better than that. Not for one or two years, the Top Programs are in the Top 20 every pretty much every year. Would love to hear which schools have a stronger Program. We all know the usual suspects... MD, UNC, NU, BC, Syracuse, Virginia, ND, Princeton, Penn, Stony Brook, Florida... JMU ? What other schools have a stronger program?

Maybe PSU will fall off who knows but looking at the results from recent years I just don't see more than 12 - 15 better programs.