Originally Posted by Anonymous
So here is the biggest problem that the WSYL faces - in order to be the most competitive tournament in the US you need to stay grade-based. I'm okay with holdback haters disagreeing with this, but here's the reality:

1. Some "holdbacks" were held back in school as a result of maturity and/or academics - this happens with MD, NY, PA and every other state in the country. This most likely happened in kindergarten or 1st grade. How do you stigmatize this example as a plot to improve your lacrosse team? You can't. It's not the kid's fault and, let's be honest, it was most likely a great move by parents who care for their kid.

2. Some true holdbacks take place in middle school years when a family makes a decision to place their son in PREP school. This happens on the island, in the MIAA, and in the Inter-Ac. Guess what? You can't do a thing about it except complain! Once that kid is held back, he's in that grade through high school. Talk about a double-holdback all you want, but at least in PA, you cannot play a varsity sport if you turn 19 before the school year begins, so it makes no sense to hold back a student twice. The main reason for this is because PREP schools do demand more from their students and acclimating to the demands constitutes the holdback. I get that sometimes it's athletic related, but you're talking about a special athlete in this case so spare me with it "happens all the time". I also know that PREP schools allow for a double-holdback but if this is your main argument about advantages, you're looking at a very small percentage of players.

3. PA players aren't drawing from the same geography as LI. LI has 7 million people on it. The best PA teams are located in an area of about 2 million people and I'm probably being too generous with that many. So what does that mean? It means that the LI teams will be better than the PA teams because they have a larger talent pool to choose from. Case in point: This years's BL team has been put together over a few years and is a combo team from a few different clubs. It was not homegrown talent. Also, the PA Big 5 team from last year (2023) was a combo team that included players from multiple clubs - it was a one-off team that doesn't exist anymore. The Big 5 team did well as an all-star club team but didn't reach the final with the best talent Philly had to offer.

4. The big name teams from PA, DE, MD, DC, and WV were not well represented in the East Qualifier. As a matter of fact, some of the teams that went, play in B level summer tournaments. What's the point of having a tournament where you can't get the best teams there? Wait, that's right, the NLF can claim that already. While I agree that this includes some holdback challenges, it also may have to include the fact that you have to shell out quite a few bucks to go to Denver, and pass up you're 4th of July for the year. Where are the HoCo studs (Hawks, Madlax, Looney's, FCA, Crabs, etc)? How about the PA Inter-Ac feeders (Mesa, HHH, Freedom, Duke's)? Don't be offended if I didn't list your son's team - I think you get the picture.

The East qualifier was a joke this year - the top two teams both pitched a shut out and both won games by double digits - that's not competitive. It's great for the families who have a kid on the team, but how do you tell your son, after he does well at the WSYL then comes home and gets beat at the NLF National Championships, if you are invited there, that your team isn't as good as they were in Denver? You tell them it's all about holdbacks right? Then does your kid gets a pass for losing the rest of his middle school and high school career? Because of holdbacks, hahahahahaha...

I get puberty plays a part in this, but puberty hits in a small window in/around 7th grade. Maybe a team or two get an advantage with puberty for a summer, but it will all even itself out in the long run. I bet some of you would go crazy if the WSYL drilled down their event even further to say: only age-based players who haven't hit puberty are allowed to play saying it's "not fair". Maybe if you're kid is a late-bloomer you'd support a puberty-free tourney? I don't know...

I was inclined to post this after seeing the East Qualifier scores - it was very disappointing to see the lack of talented teams and the lack of competitive games.

WSYL has to switch to grade-based to stay viable. Warrior already has their All-America games where it's grade based so I think the writing is on the wall.

Disclaimer - I have an on-age son playing for a top club team in SE Pennsylvania - he's not a 2024. When he goes up against bigger/faster/stronger I've taught him to find a way to be successful - he's a better player for it!
For the record, Long Island is considered Nassau and Suffolk county, the total population of both combined is under 3,000,000, not the 7 million you state, Holdbacks on L.I. is not a common occurrence because there are no Prep Schools on L.I. , the closest we have is Catholic Schools. Pennsylvania, on the other hand, does have the Classic prep school where holdbacks are a staple. Just to clarify your obviously uneducated post