Originally Posted by Anonymous

Wow, such righteous indignation. You respond to a comment with a statement that has little to do with what the poster wrote while making an unknowing assumption, well done. In addition you wrap it up with the now fairly common and weak minded, "if you don't agree with me you are wrong and a bad person statement". Very compelling stuff. It is actually pretty funny to read all the hate and hating thrown around an anonymous forum. All you have to do is take a stroll through the LI forums to see that it is even worse on those forums. You would think there were national security implications to the sport of lacrosse.

I too am the parent of an on age MD parent. I too agree that at the youth level kids should be playing in age based systems. The purpose of these forums is to either b**** and moan which is funny since the comments are so silly, outrageous and full of "fake news", or to provide some level of information helpful to others. To that end my question to all the MD and LI posters who b**** and moan about the holdback situation is - what is your recommendation to solve the problem, to get us back to an age based system? No one ever seems to offer a solution so yes we will continue to find these posts of indignation funny and more than a little pathetic. I will readily admit I have no idea how to make this change happen.

End of the day this is a youth sport. We are lucky that we have a league with numerous divisions at each grade where pretty much any kid who wants to play competitive lacrosse can do so. We are fortunate that our son, and many of his teammates, are able to play at the elite level, on age. I am guessing they would be even better served under an age based system but being a year or two away from high school where at the elite level holdbacks across all sports and all regions (yes, even you LI) are not uncommon I am not 100% sure about that. So once again I would ask all the people who complain on this forum: what do we do to change back to an age based system knowing the potentially high rewards (good high school, good college) enabled by a grade based system that includes holdbacks? It is hard to get the genie back in the bottle and none of the parents released this genie.

~ Also a Parent of a MD On-age Player Who Understands This is Only One of Many Youth Sports Available to Our Kids and That 7th Grade Lacrosse is not Going to Make or Break Our Kid's Life

Youth soccer operates on a strictly age-based system. When I last checked, there were still kids being recruited to college with this system. It really shouldn't be all that hard - set the age cut-off date (soccer uses Jan 1) and play U12, U13, U14, etc.