"I would think they do it to help them in the summer, why not play up if you have the opportunity. Maybe HOCO should have a process for moving the top team from AA up and the bottom team from elite down or something like that."

HOCO does have a process called a competition committee. The issue is that the members of the committee include the person involved here. The top clubs all play in each others events and look the other way at holdback issues support grade based play and will only allow each other's teams in the Elite group despite the talent. T91 had a strong 22 team and has a strong 24 team, therefore they will want to be in elite at 23 even if the play on the field does not warrant it, which it has not. Not being unfair here but the record speaks for itself. The only logical candidates to replace them would be teams like South River, VLC, or Cavalier who have been in the finals the last few years in the next level down. I am not sure if these teams would do better, worse, or the same. VLC is owned by Crabs so the powers that be on the committee will never let a club have two elite teams, South River is a local club and not represented in the club lacrosse mafia, and Cavalier is too Virginia'ish to make it. For the rest of the Elite clubs they are clearly better than these other clubs and deserve the spot. I think though it is not good for these kids on 91 to "play up" and get ready for the summer. Losing is tough and leads to more losing. They need to play at a competitive level that fits the talent as most teams do is almost all sports at all levels.