Originally Posted by Anonymous
Notre Dame lost a close one to Syracuse. The Irish look pretty good to me. Notre Dame is one of the 10 -15 best Programs in the country. Notre Dame is an excellent school and their women's lacrosse program is top notch. Some on this site bash them every year out of some sort of jealousy or bitterness (I have been critical of their out of conference schedule this year). Hate all you want, The Irish are very good.

I don't think anyone is denying that they're a good team (the team has been stacked for the last 5-10 years), the school is one of the rare few that has there pick of recruits. The problem, as with Florida and all the great players they have had, is the coach can't manage the talent or make the in game decisions when it counts. They should be a perennial final four team with the recruits they get, they are classic underachievers and that's on the coaching

Bingo!!!

There have been many on this site who have said that ND is not a good team or a strong program.

They are one of the top 10 - 15 programs in the country. That said, why should they be a perennial final four team? You say 'the school is one of the rare few that has their pick of recruits". The fact of the matter is that the "top recruits" are the ones who have their pick of schools not the other way around. The top programs fight over many of the same of players. There are about 15 schools (more than a rare few) that get the top recruits each year, Notre Dame is in that group but they do not have their pick. Maryland , North Carolina, Boston College, Virginia, Northwestern, Princeton, Penn, Duke, Georgetown, Syracuse, USC, Stanford, Hopkins, Penn State, Florida and Loyola (Michigan will start bringing in more talent). Every "family / personal" situation is different for each recruit and Notre Dame is not the right choice for all of the best players for a variety of reasons.

Getting to the Final Four is very difficult. To say that they should be there every year is foolish. Notre Dame may have a big advantage over most schools but when it comes to the top programs, the programs that compete for the top recruits they have to fight like everyone else. None of the top programs have their pick, it is the top players who have their pick.