Originally Posted by Anonymous
What happened to Hopkins?? Looks like it’s going to be a tough year for them. darn early recruiting!

What happened to Hopkins was that Loyola is the best team in the Country. However I am curious about the early recruiting comment which would seemed to be aimed at the player who committed in 8th grade. Do you think he is part of the problem? Watching the game he looks ready to have a great four years and already has decent stats. He may be freshman of the year.

Wasn’t talking about him, just the team in general. No fire, just mediocre. Yes, Loyola is hot but the game should have been closer, as the Towson game as well. Since you brought up “#1 recruit” didn’t see him doing much. He’s absent from stat leaders and not receiving any FOW accolades. Many top players from HS disappear in college. To early to tell, there is definitely a learning curve, so we’ll see. A lot of pressure on these kids, being under the microscope week after week can be tough!

Years ago there were only so many top players to go around. Skill level for most players was average at best in HS besides top players. Most only played in Spring and a little summer. If you were a top player you went to a top player college, Hop,VA, Cuse, etc...Today with the explosion of club along with lacrosse going well in several different states, there is a huge amount of players with skills. You can practice and play year round now. Many skilled players get overlooked , even in supposebly hotbed areas. There is just so many to choose from, hard to always pick the best.... And the stars in HS arent always the stars in college. And if you dont get the overlooked HS player and he turns out to be a star on another team, well you go the way some big name teams have gone in last two years..I think parity is here for 20-30 teams...no longer a select 5-10 teams.

Hopkins biggest problem is three fold I think.. They are on the small side for middies especially SSDM's, offense doesnt at this time seem to have a dodger that draws slides every time, heck the best dodger looks like Freshman Epstein at this time, Their 6-4 dodger looks awkward every time he dodges.. ..and too complicated a defense.
They are in for a rough year without a playoff spot in my opinion