Originally Posted by Anonymous
[quote=Anonymous]

Put the Madlax parent (which I am not) aside and just address the issue. Arguably, the two most recognizable youth lacrosse programs in the county, 91 and Express, are both founding member of the NLF. Some of the most vocal people on this board are LI parents that constantly rail against the MD holdback/reclass teams. If this is such an important issue, which I agree it is, why don't the 91 and Express parents, the people that finance these clubs, make more of an issue directly with their own clubs. If 91 and Express were to make a move towards supporting the US lacrosse age-based model, other clubs would no doubt follow suit. Unfortunately, because of the fear that making a stand may jeopardize your son's spot on one of these teams, you remain silent, and therefore arguably complicit. I am not suggesting that I would act any differently as a parent, but just curious as to what others think. I completely agree that the holdbacks/reclass system is BS, a kid should play with their age group for youth lacrosse, A legitimate argument could be made that the age-based system should be phased out in high school, but not through 8th grade. An honest reply would be appreciated because I think that this is an important issue.

Does youth lacrosse really matter? I mean, in the grand scheme, does it? No. That's why it won't change.

Once these boys reach 8th grade, some of the better players start playing JV or Varsity and then it starts to matter. There is not a single college looking at a 6th or 7th grade player, especially since the changes last year. So in reality, it only matters to dad's who want to tell other people that their kid, or their kid's team, is the best. The club owners and tournament organizers are fully aware of this and they are making far too much money in the current system to rock the boat.

For the record, I'm an LI dad and my son is not a holdback. I also have an older son who played on age, but saw how the whole process played out with him. These boys will all be in the same recruiting class so, in my opinion, I have no problems with my smaller son playing against bigger players. It will make him better. And, when he hits puberty and hopefully catches up to those same players in size, he'll have developed the tools he needs to beat them.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply, and I could not agree more. While I do not agree with parents holding their kids back, as I believe that it does nothing for the kid developmentally in the long run, I have no problem with my son playing them as it will only make him better when it counts.

hate to burst everyones bubble on long island but if you look at the rosters of most colleges there freshman are usually 19-20 yrs old.on top of that colleges are looking for the athletic kid 6 ft and taller. yes long island dominates youth lax and travels the best with the best team apparel on the parents sideline but it seems these kids struggle at the D1 level.

Wow.......since BOTC is fact based........ except for your dumb statement.....please indulge the thread with the facts that back up your statement.