Originally Posted by Anonymous

Guys the unfortunate thing is the age catch doesn't happen like you think. The boys don't always catch up. The talent you see know is the talent that stays. There may be a few outliers. The mythical catch up never happens the majority of families doing it are those with the better kids. And no it is not just DMV or Texas or Cali. Its Ct and LI too. Look at the rosters at Chaminade and St A's. Look at the roster at Smithtown many 2000 DOBs, many late in the year but 2000 non the less.

A pre 1st, then hold-back in 8th, is a 16 year old 9th grader against 14 yo advantage 16 yo. That same pre 1st HB is now 19/20 yo college freshman against a 17/18 yo.college freshman. or a 23/24 yo college Sr against a 21/22 yo college sr.

Sounds like a club coach or director have sold you well. But you need to look closer at their motivation. They’re in the business of winning NOW. For some clubs, holdbacks are the biggest part of that strategy. When your son no longer helps with attaining that goal, they are thrown out like yesterday’s newspaper. By junior year, the holdbacks advantage is over. He is now just a mediocre player, trying to compete against the superior kids he use to have an advantage over.

But now that advantage is gone, because the younger kids have caught up or VERY likely SURPASSED the physical advantages that he enjoyed during his early youth. He will be exposed for what he he has always been. An average player, at best. I’ve been coaching youth lacrosse for 15 years and I’ve seen this played out time and time again. Enjoy the advantage now, because within the next 3 years, it’s all over.

nope bucked the system i too have been coaching forever maybe it is time you took a break. i did. i am not saying i agree it is what it is. I was just stating facts. yeah its over in three years when they are in college and hit the 1% kids

Question for you. Since you are arguing the pro side of the holdback controversy, im assuming you are from MD or the surrounding area. Also assuming you are not a Madlax parent since you seem rational. So here goes... why do you think the MD teams have so much trouble with the LI teams, who are much younger? If the MD players are top tier players, and a year or more older than the LI players, then there should be no contest. But that is clearly not the case.

That is a very good question. MD teams play an entire HOCO season before playing the LI teams, while the LI teams are just beginning their tourney season. And every MD team is LOADED with holdbacks, and always have been. If these MD teams are top teams, these games should not be remotely close. But they always are very close. Would love some “intelligent” responses.