Originally Posted by Anonymous
I'm curious to know people's opinions on how the kids in Maryland stack up nationally. I see a lot of FCA, Madlax and Crabs kids at the older grades committing to high level schools. Can we expect that the kids who are stand outs among the local clubs to do the same? My observation through the last year is that there seems to be a ton of talent these days nationally, perhaps more so than even just a few years ago.

Yes, local players make up a much smaller percentage of the top 10-20 starting rosters or D1 AA lists than in the past. Athletes are bigger and faster and the game is less parochial than before. You will see more Mid-Atlantic (MIAA) kids on a percentage basis at the starting keeper and attack positions than midfield and D as the the latter positions are dominated by the tall and fast athletes less dependent on lax IQ and years of experience.

It also doesn’t help that these days a number of club coaches are more about their ‘brand’ then the kids they coach. Look at 91MD. That guy never misses a chance to promote himself. It’s all about look at me when I played 20 years ago instead of look at the kids I coach.

I'm not sure what that has to do with the topic being discussed. That coach got his players into some elite high schools where they'll continue to grow their game and lax IQ. Some of these other clubs do very little to promote their players. I'll take a narcissistic donk who works for his players any day.