Originally Posted by Anonymous
Just a few questions for someone who played no for yelllow jackets last year.

1)Price says 650 “registration fee” then you pay for then tournaments?

2) says practice start in April. No indoor?

Just wondering if someone who’s played on 27/26 combo team last year could help me out with how much a season costs.

Thanks

I do not have a daughter on the 27/26 combo team. My 27 is elsewhere, not knocking YJ though. However, this is generally how it works with YJ as my older daughter was there for three years.

1) You pay registration $650
2) You pay a separate tournament fee, usually around the same cost as registration. $650 ish
3) 10 practices are included. Your coach may do more at his/her own discretion. Many coaches do, but they aren't paid to do so by YJ.
4) Winter training is not included. You have to sign up for it separately and it is on the YJ website. It does fill up kind of quickly, so if you want it, sign up. Al Bertolone from Mt. Sinai usually runs it and does an excellent job in my opinion. You'll have to check the price, it's been a while. It is an instructional scrimmage format and he teaches a lot. I have heard some parents complain about playing time so your mileage may vary but I still think it's worth it.
5) Position specific training is offered through YJ at an additional cost. Never done that so I can't say how good or bad it is.

Some teams will run indoor practices, generally coached by a parent, which you've got to pay for the indoor space. You'll need to hear from a YJ parent directly as to whether this team does that or not. Usually, the cost is anywhere from $20-30 per child per practice to pay for the indoor time. (Not included in the total below)

All in, it's roughly $1700 - $2000 and that does not include travel expenses which are the biggest expense. If your team travels out of state, figure a minimum of $600 per weekend between hotel, gas, food, and tolls. That is per tournament and YJ usually has a couple of trips to MD, DE or NJ. Less out of state tournaments for the younger kids these days. Most other girls programs bake all the additional costs into one flat rate but overall the cost is roughly the same more or less. The other programs tend to stay more on LI at the younger grades which keeps costs down and there is plenty of competition here on LI.