Originally Posted by Anonymous

You are correct if you are on age and playing well you are in a great spot. But you can not argue with the fact that the top kids going to the top schools are private school kids who are 12 months to 18 months older then a "on age" kid. Its like saying you do not have to be really tall to play in the NBA look at Spud Webb!
So I do not need stats to say a older player is getting D1 roster spots over on age kids more times then not.

In other words, you just realized that you humiliated your kid by putting him back a year in school and wasted a year of his life, all because he’s not a great 7th grade lacrosse player. Way to go Dad! I’m sure he’ll thank you in a few years, when he’s riding the pines, after walking on to that horrible D3 lax team somewhere in the Deep Deep South.

That is not a all the truth if my son is good to really good with on age players and I hold him back a year in one of the three ways it can be done the math proves he is way more likely to get a top D1 roster spot. I did not hold my son back I do not have the money to pull this off. But he is 17 years old now and going to play College lacrosse next year. But I promise you if we had held him back he would be at the top of the D1 list of names. If he is on the bottom of the D1 schools list now " we have a roster spot for him but we are out of Athletic aid." Then its not hard to see if we had held him back one year. He would be getting D1 money? I am still not going to hold my younger son back but I do feel a need to post on here to inform people that the hold back advantage never goes away that kid has a huge advantage. It only goes away maybe 2nd or 3rd year of college.

PG Year seems better than holding back in 7th grade. Compete against older kids and then when you're more mature pick up that extra year to become more appealing to a college coach. Of course any review of the financials and impact this and the holdback approach will clearly show that the only ROI is based on appeasing the ego of the parents. The scholarship money is a pittance while the long term earning power does not justify the means. I have no issue with my son playing against holdbacks. HAve never understood the parents that enjoy playing against younger kids.