Originally Posted by Anonymous
Yes, WSYL is Disney World for Lax. It’s a wonderful, but pricey, experience. Stop knocking it. Would it be great if Boston, Philly, Maryland, DC/Va, NC put their best teams forward, yes. Only time will tell. More specific, I am Surprised Madlax, FCA or FLG doesn’t put together U13 WYSL teams and enter as they have national brands and given the finals are on TV. And they would love to dethrone 91 or Express on national TV.

Unfortunately I don't think it will ever happen unless WSYL goes back to May 1 cutoff, like it used to do. The 9/1 cutoff is perfect for NY teams. It doesn't work well for the rest of the country. It is too disruptive for most club teams to have their regular team and then their WSYL team. In NY if a kid misses the 1/1 or 12/1 cutoff by a month or two, there is still a 3-4 month cushion. When a kid outside NY misses the cutoff, there is no cushion. Where I live, I would say 75% of boys with July or August birthdays do pre-K or enter K late. It has nothing to do with lacrosse. It is just parents doing what is best for their kid developmentally. This doesn't mean that non-NY programs are doing anything wrong or are inherently crooked. It is just a natural by-product of the different school cut-off dates. I bet if you looked at the top NY clubs, there are just as many kids with October-November birthdays, as there are June-August birthdays on non-NY clubs.