Originally Posted by Anonymous
I think the point was that there is a high concentrate of 2005's on the AA teams. And there are! I agree that most of the boys will qualify for WSYL. But there is something to be said about having kids play on age. Taz has a big number of 05's, and I know wp has mostly 06's I give them a lot of credit.But they got out-sized last year and this year the puberty thing will be overwhelming to them. So they go and grab a big strong 05 from Express. If you cant beat them join them.

WP parent here. The team picked up two Fall 05's at tryout, which totals two 05's on the team. With 23 players on the team, that's approximately 8% of the team are 05's, which means... 92% of the team have 06 DOB's. Previous to this year, it was always... 100% 06 DOB's.

So, saying that the vast concentration of players are from 05, or 95% of the players on AA teams have 05 DOB's, that is simply a myth, spread by people on here, who's kid was cut by these top teams. Myth dispelled!

Only referring to Long Island here. I'm sure that the 95% number is pretty close to accurate for all the MD teams.

I have nothing to do with either team but what makes a player not eligible . My son is is November birthday but started 1st grade the next year would be be a hold back ? School cut off is Dec 1st. What is the cut cut off month ?

December 1st is the cut off date in NY State. If he was born on or after Dec 1st, he would have to be in the grade above. Kids born between Sept 1st and November 31st have the choice. So, is your son a holdback? Technically, yes, because he could have gone in the older grade, if you and your wife had not chosen to... hold him back. Kinda self explanatory, huh??

It's a tough birthday though. Should your son be young for his grade or old for his grade? Those are your choices? Totally depends upon your 5 year olds maturity level. Hopefully parents aren't thinking, hmmm I'll keep my 5 year old home another year, so he can have an advantage over other kids in sports, as he is growing up. But, I'm sure some people do.

[/quote]

Definitely wasn’t thinking about any sports at the time to put him in 1st grade. At the time he was not ready reading , speech etc.. sports was the last thing on my mine didn’t want him to be behind. I thought it was a great decision academically .