Originally Posted by Anonymous
My kid top player, not on a top club team. He got $22,000 A year athletic money.

That sounds about right if it is a expensive private U.

Example: College Expense: $60K
Team has 12.6 scholarships: = $756K
They offer money to 33 of the likely 42 on the roser = $22K
Key is that it is a private school less at a in state public school.
That covers the cost of five season of club ball.

My kid is a top player on a good club team, now a sophomore at a top 50 public. He gets 30k athletic.

First, there are not 50 public schools playing D1 lacrosse. I assume you mean a top 50 public university over all. Based on the amount of the athletic scholarship 30K I would also assume he is paying out of state tuition. It is very unlikely that an player will receive 30K of in state money which would essentially be a full ride. There would be no reason for an AD to approve this for a non revenue sport. Not to mention why a coach we need to as most top players are not getting a full ride. Many schools can "stack" financial or merit scholarships to get close. Of course this excludes the service academies which is a totally different situation. Most good to great players such as UA AA will likely be offered 20-30% in athletic money. How many tewaaraton finalists do you think get a full athletic scholarship?

Said Virginia men's coach Dom Starsia: "If you take our Tewaaraton Award winners — Matt Ward, Chris Rotelli and Steele Stanwick — and added them all together, it might equal a little more than one full scholarship."

Those are lies. On my sons team alone, I know 2 kids getting over 50% athletic money. My son is one of them. I also know kids including my son who were asked to transfer, and get upwards of 70% to make it worth there while. Funny how money appears when it's needed.

In the 'perfect, ideal' situation, among the 12.6 scholarships that are allocated among the 4 recruiting classes, there would be 12 1/4 athletic scholarships but there are obviously players who receive less and those who receive more. Very seldom will they offer a full scholarship but there are cases when schools will sacrifice 1 of the 12.6 for someone they see a lot of value you or due to different circumstances. When I went to STJ, I was a player who received 100% athletic money for all 4 years of school and knew players only receiving book money, a few grand and the rest in between 1/4 - .1/2 athletic money so it is possible. Remember, this doesn't happen often and not every D1 school is fully funded such as Providence & Villanova.