Originally Posted by Anonymous
It's been a terrible tryout year......kids are going from hero to zero because holdback and pre-first kids are obviously more sought out after than kids that quite frankly have not hit puberty yet....Really annoyed by this whole process...Talented kids loosing their spot to a kid that should be in High School and in some cases can drive to 8th grade lacrosse practice.... They system is so jacked....

That's my son , always the smallest but talented. It is at a point that he does not want to play this year., The whole youth lax scene is sickening.

That would be a mistake - assuming he still loves playing the game. Make it clear to him that being on "x" team when he's 13 years old isn't the deciding factor in his [lacrosse] life.

If it helps, remind him that Paul Rabil didn't even START playing lacrosse until he was 12.

There are a lot of teams out there that would love to have a talented kid. If he loves the game and keeps working, in a few years all the holdback kids will no longer have the age/size advantage and your son will be able to play on an even field.

Considering not playing at all this year so he can train and work with coaches away from the madness and stupidity of club lacrosse.... High School lacrosse and another year of growth will help him to bypass these holdback kids that get a pass because they are bigger and stronger... Not necessarily better lacrosse players

It sounds like your post in sincere. There is a ton of trash talk in these posts and if you are looking for honest advice from anonymous people I will try my best. You can take or leave this advice. I would really speak with my son about playing on a TEAM this year. I started in 8th grade and played on a D1 program. It was a different era and that my not be relevant to today. However the point I want to make it this: Lacrosse is a fun team sport. There is a team for every kid. I have watched different levels and this is true. If you are considering personal training with coaches for your son, ask yourself this: is that fun? is it more fun that games? What kid wants to train and work hard for the season after next? In my opinion kids brains do not see that far into the future. Why prepare for HS before you start 8th grade? Private coaching can be good but you can only get better playing lacrosse and games are fun. I would work to find a team that he fits in and remember that the team is what it is all about or at least was for me and is for my son.