Originally Posted by Anonymous
What’s a recommended A/B club for this grade in the Towson/Baltimore area? Looking for stability, development, and, for next year, high school program. Son will start/play a lot. New to the area and need to choose.

The "elite" teams have all concluded tryouts and their rosters are set. Unless you (1) know someone or (2) your son is the second coming (and you also know someone), those clubs aren't an option.

Even most of the A/B teams in the area have also finished tryouts, but I would guess that they are more likely to let your son come out over the Fall and guest for a tournament and evaluate him then for next Spring. The two I'm most familiar with (although my son plays for neither):

(1) Rock -- The 2023 team has had a lot of turnover the last few years. There is a new young coach, Mike Marshner who will be taking over as the head coach (he was an assistant the last two years). The prior coach, Ricky Matthews, will still be around, but is coaching the 2024 team. Likely the 2023s will play some games/tournaments with 2024s. The program itself is focused on player development, but don't expect to win a lot of games. Rock continues (at least for now) to have a pretty solid high school recruiting program. They will often combine their Baltimore and PA teams for recruiting events. Contact: Kevin Mayer coachmayer@rocklacrosse.net

(2) Koopers -- The 2023 team played B last year and was pretty successful. I believe they lost a few of their players (FO kid?) but, at least prior to tryouts, were planning on moving up to play A level. The program is well run and stable. I don't know much about the 2023 coaches, but the program is pretty excited about bringing in Hopkins coach, Dave Pietramala, as their Coaches Coach. The program director, Ron Klausner, is very connected and is a great resource. I can almost guarantee he'd be happy to speak with you. The email I have is: ronklausner@kooperslacrosse.com If that doesn't work, there is a contact link on their website: https://www.kooperslacrosse.com/home

Good luck to your son.

Thanks. This is helpful. How do Breakers, Green Turtle and True Wolfpack compare with the two you mention?

First, you can cross Rock off the list. I just heard that Rock has folded its 2023 team. :0

I'm not that familiar with Breakers, Greene Turtle and Wolfpack. I do know that Breakers sends me emails constantly. smile And Greene Turtle 2023 is what used to be Lax World. That Lax World team had some good players, but I was never impressed with their player development - the team often seemed to run on just letting a few athletic/talented players freelance. But that's an outsiders view, and with them coming under Greene Turtle, things might be different.