Originally Posted by Anonymous
19 -21 is the break even point so teams are going to shoot for 23-. The reason they put B rosters out first is so they can grab the top B kids they tried to stash there when they decline and move them to the A roster .

????
When kids decline the B team, they will then offer them the A team?

That makes no sense. So make the B team worse right off the bat. These invite numbers are an indication that the process is dumb, sorry, my opinion, but it is. Let’s account for declines to back into a revenue number. Can you directors give it some thought and come with a process for 2nd teams and 1st teams to thrive independently. How about once these clubs set the A team invites and and get firm commitments. They then invite anybody, even if you didn’t attend the first tryout, interested in the 2nd team back to supplemental tryouts. Yeah more work, but that’s a better process, that forms a better team. And a lot of people are getting over the shock of being cut from the A team. It’s always feels like it’s a race to beat the down payment dates vs the other clubs. Take your time with this decision, it’s big investment.

This is kind of how hockey does it. Organizations that have Tier I teams have their Tier I tryouts first. They offer and get commitments and have there team more or less in place very quickly. Then the Tier II is a week or two later, and any kid who tried out for tier I but didn't make it is allowed to try out at tier II for a nominal extra fee. Further, USA hockey (or maybe just the Atlantic district) dictates when you are to have tryouts for each tier (usually in terms of the week of ____). Thus clubs can't play games with dates in order to try to gain a strategic advantage, and kids can't show up at a million rinks and string clubs along very easily.