Originally Posted by Anonymous
Who would've thought just a year or two ago that M&D Black would sport a 1-2 record after the first day of a tournament?

My daughter plays for one of the 2021 G8 teams. Give me one goal games - win or loss - vs a blowout any day. The games should only get more competitive as the girls get older. In close games, the coaches watching get to see the goalie, defense, mids and attack all work. Parity is a good thing.

The change I've noticed over the last year is that now the top tier teams no longer strike fear into the hearts of the "lesser" teams. Two or three years ago a game between an M&D Black/YJ/Heros and non dominant team was over before the opening draw just on a psychological basis. That's no longer the case. The talent has evened out somewhat, creating a level of parity mentioned above. I agree it's a good thing.

Another reason for parity is that many of the girls are concerned with being noticed by college coaches and as a result play an individual game rather than a team game. That may have worked in middle school, but not at the HS level where defenses have improved. This mentality is creating cracks among teammates and parents. It's sad to watch the competition to be recruited divide teams.

Spot on. My older daughter went through this a few years ago and now my middle daughter is going through the same thing. You can clearly see it's becoming a "me first" game.