Originally Posted by Anonymous
Please enough of the holdback stuff. I'm not a fan of it. My son plays on one of the better teams and he is on age. He's already a good player in the current situation, but would it be nice if he was being compared to his actual peers? Of course. But complaining on here isn't doing anything. And to the RR parents and any other parents you know darn well that your team has holdbacks also. So what is an acceptable amount in your eyes? Say Hawks have 8, Crabs has 6, FCA has 6, etc... Does the fact that RR only has 3 or 4 make it ok to you? Looneys probably has 7 or 8 and it doesn't make them a good team.

Every thread on this site gets overrun by holdback complaining. It is what it is. Move on.

I agree it gets tiresome reading about the holdback stuff but look back a few pages and see how it started. Hawks fans came very close to trashing RoughRiders after beating them Friday night. When that happens people are going to respond, both fans and non fans of RoughRiders, simply because many know the truth about Hawks 2022. I also agree that every club has holdbacks, numbers are different for each team but to start saying a club is regressing is out of line, when you beat that team with a team loaded with holdbacks. Hawks fans start calling RR by a mock name and again come very close to trashing them. How can any team with some holdbacks compete with a team that has 12+ holdbacks on a roster of about 20 some kids? You can't, Hawks is in reality a 2021 team playing in the 2022 division. I wouldn't be surprised that some of these post are from the coach of Hawks 2022, it is not beyond him to act this way.
Holdbacks are not breaking the rules of the HOCO league, it is a grade base league and has been for several years. How it really started is anyone's guess, we have all heard the stories of how and why, so who knows the real truth? If you beat a team be happy for your win but don't come on here, an anonymous web site, and start the trash talk. That is out of line and uncalled for.
To answer your question, how many holdbacks are acceptable, to me the answer is none. I would prefer to see this go back to an age base league and at some point it could, given that early college recruiting has been moved up to the beginning of a players junior year in high school. This is the best move the NCAA could have done to put a stop to early recruiting and hopefully in will trickle down to the HOCO league to revert back to age base leagues.