Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by watchthemplay
I see you are the only one champion this on here. I believe the majority of kids playing are closer to my kids age by 6 months. There may be a few outliers but thats it and everyone seems to be on board. I have not broken any rules, when my son was in REC he played in the 7/8,9/10 and 11/12 age group that he was slated for and now in Club he is playing with his peers in his grade. Nothing has changed for my son in his entire lacrosse life. He has played every other year against older kids in rec and never complained because those were the rules. Now when he joined Club they say he plays in his graduation year as per the rules. We and 1000's of other parents are just following the rules.

It seems to be all in your mind, and blaming parents because you again perceive that there is magically some advantage is not gettin you anywhere. Kids grow size wise at all different times in life and all mature at different levels as well. You can have a big kid who is not mentally tough yet or a pint size kid that will run over that big kid. Again the parents didn't make up these rules, we have been following them through rec and club as they are written

Quit be angry at the parents, and I'm starting to agree with other posters, you must make excuses for your child instead of just letting him play and have fun at a level that fits his skill level.

If Hawks wants to field 15 year olds then so be it, let them win the HOCO league, my child know winning is not everything. Growing in your skill level, learning to compete at a high level always means playing the bigger better teams. He wants to play for high school, maybe college so he is making himself better. Getting beat by a better old team stinks but he learns and moves on does not go home and cry about it.

This makes way too much sense. The essence of all of this is simply "letting go" and accepting the fact that Hawks/Crabs/DC Express/FCA/Koopers-Dukes have a greater probability of winning a lacrosse league that nobody will care about or recall when it comes to applying for college and finding a great fit academically and athleticially ... if your kid is even inclined to continue playing sports past high school. I have know lots of kids that have dropped out of athletics in college entirely because they found a better life direction for themselves. And that is one of the main purposes of getting out of the house, making decisions on their own, and exposing themselves to a world much greater and expansive than the comparatively narrow one they experience in our respective households. If your kid wants to play, there is a college out there that wants them to enroll and participate. NONE OF THEM are asking -- did you win the HOCO league????

I too have had two sons play through the U7/9/11/13 experiences and they were just fine. One has experienced that and also now grade based. He has generally played on teams where he understood that there was no chance of winning a title, but that did not stop his team from trying to win a quarter, a half, a game or compete, compete, compete. I love watching the "big boys" play, and particularly enjoy when my kid goes toe to toe with them. It's just fun, and that's what we talk about in the car ride home after stopping by the nearest Dunkin Donuts! Those "big boys" have prepared my son well for high school and he is looking forward to playing against many of them in the MIAA. What I mostly shake my head about is the constant undertow of parents living lives through their kids and trying to steer them to the "perfect solution". There is no such thing as perfect. Keep going "big boys" and good luck in high school to all the great 8th grade lax players that we will watch this year -- even on teams that may be short on wins.

If this is the case,, why the need to for grade base to accommodate a supposed few holdbacks?? Why create a system in youth sports for a select few to get an advantage. You make a strong case to have a simple age based league