Originally Posted by watchthemplay
What is considered a Holdback anyway? My kid did preK holdback and done because of maturity reasons. What parent at that age even knows what sport or if kid will even play sports at a high level?

if they repeat 8th grade because they have the money and show talent then what are you going to do. Families might need scholarships to get through college so cant knock them but if its not about that and you have the money go ahead. I would not do it personally but people have their reasons. I would hope for academics since there is no future in Lacrosse beyond High school.

So my kid is 14 and will graduate 8th grade being 14. That seems pretty normal with his peers or am I wrong? Now he has summer birthday so for half the summer tournaments he will turn 15. again this seems pretty normal for his school?

I just think that like what someone posted- you know what your in for in the elite or even AA divisions so why complain or call out. If these kids are very good as 9th graders they will play against much bigger, stronger and Older kids in High school. I get some kids are late bloomers but again it does seem like the norm so why complain. I would have no idea what the age all kids on other teams much less all the ages of kids on my sons team other than a handfull and they all seem to be just like my son.

You miss the point about YOUTH sports. You like many prefirst/holdback/reclass parents always bring High School sports into YOUTH sports. Why and what you do with your child is no ones business except yours as it pertains to their education. Education and Youth sports are two completely different arenas for our children as is Youth sports and High SCHOOL sports.

Take your kid for example , why does your child born in the summer get an advantage in youth sports over another child born on same exact day. Is that child any less worthy of getting the same advantage your child gets. Youth sports doesnt carve out special exceptions that others cant get. If it was done in the spirit of youth sports it would allow anyone born on that summer date to play in that bracket, not just your son and the few others like him.

The reasons have changed over the last few years to this whole playing down concept. The Early Recruiting is gone. That was the biggest reason for 8th grade being grade based and had some validity. That is gone. Now it seems the only reason is to accommodate ( in Maryland /DC ) all the private school holdbacks/prefirsts. That isnt a good reason for allowing a few players a select advantage.