Originally Posted by Anonymous
Here is an easy one. Go look at the big time rosters and the degrees the players are pursuing and in most instances the most popular majors of the school are way under indexed by the players and replaced with communications and the like. Not a lot of Pre Med, nurses, engineers. Coaches want these kids to be available to play, win championships and graduate

You cannot be this dense. Your proof that the coaches direct these kids into certain majors is that not a lot of them are taking majors that are the most popular. Maybe many of these kids are not your
average student and have interests that are not the most popular, maybe some of these schools were reach schools and the kids were not premed, engineering type students, maybe some come from affluent families and will be entering the family business or love the sport so much that after graduation they want to stay connected to it by coaching etc. You still have yet to name the school or coach that even encourages these kids to take a certain major .Explain then why some kids are "allowed" to take those majors you speak of as I can name both starters and nonstarters at virtually every school who do.

I don’t necessarily know of any coach that has steered a player to certain major. I do know that many coaches try to steer kids AWAY from certain majors due to the time commitment. One of those being nursing. That happened to my daughter.

As a nurse educator I can tell you it is next to impossible to commit to a D1 program and complete the required clinical hours needed to sit for nursing licensure if you want to finish in 4 years. Nursing is not a program where you can save your clinical requirements to the last semester or a fifth year. Each clinical course has a didactic, clinical and sometimes lab or simulation requirement. Coaches are wise to track athletes away from this major as they would be set up for failure. Now completing a degree that includes many of the pre-requisite courses for nursing and then going on for a fifth year in an accelerated BS to RN is possible. But again, you are not playing, lifting, committed 7 days a week to a sport that fifth year. I would think there are other majors that may require the same components....point being you shouldn't bash girls for their choice of majors.

And yet my oldest was able to go thru the nursing program at a top level d1 lacrosse school in 4 years . Was it easy ,no . Did she have to take a lot of summer courses , yes. Did she have to speak with her coaches , professors , etc in an open and honest and sometimes uncomfortable situations , yes. It can be done and if that is what you are looking for then I would make sure some have managed to do it before you and then go for it .

Would love for you to share the school and the program. As others may be interested if this is possible to see the set up, structure of the program, what courses are taken over the summer etc. and coaches willing to work with this academic program. Please share.