Originally Posted by Anonymous
I think the new recruiting rules have made it less beneficial to have your kid repeat 7th or 8th grade. There really haven't been that many examples of this happening in the last year. There were no lacrosse players repeating 8th grade at BL or McDonogh this year. I can't speak on the rest, but I don't know of any in Baltimore.

Both McDonogh and BL have pre-first, so they've already done their extra year. That's why there are so many kids on Crabs, FCA and Hawks that are 15 already.

And DCE, RR,MD91,API ---Every team has them

There is a difference between teams that have 1-3 kids that are on the boarder because of their birth date and decided to wait an extra year to go to kindergarten back in 2002-2003, OR maybe a player who was held back because of early educational issues, vs Teams full of players who all decided to do it in 8th grade. One is doing it specifically for lacrosse, the others made the decision early, most likely to accommodate for life circumstances, not necessarily a sport. Its not usually hard to tell the difference when you look at the teams and rosters. The teams filled with players who decided to do it for lacrosse would struggle to win without their older players. The teams that do not recruit, or openly encourage it would not struggle as much without their older players. To each his own, but there is a difference.

Of course there is a difference but just the same every team has them. The playing field is even and every team has a shot at all the same players. Hence tryouts' you can't fault a team that invites kids to a try out . Im pretty sure every single team in the elite division has done this. Who is to say a team would struggle without or gain an advantage with older players. Do you mean because their older players are better than yours. Most teams carry 20-26 players and having 3-4 older players is not exactly filling up the team. Point is I guess , if you have 1 or 4 you are on the same playing field because you both had a shot at 1 or the 4. I totally get the points made with age, pre,heldback etc. No one likes any of it, but don't complain about something you signed up for and happen to be on the losing side of it. Ton of lacrosse levels in this state to place your kid. Placing him in the elite level you agree to all of this! Again, no one likes it but every team plays under the same rules. ( Im all for changing the rules)