Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
It's till happening a lot. And I don't understand why -- especially with the new recruiting rules. Frankly, I find it embarrassing. My kid's a private school kid, and we're not going to do it. I think it's cheating. Just my two cents. What I really don't get is that schools give financial aid to these kids to repeat a grade for sports. I don't understand how any board of any private school is allowing that to happen. If a kid has educational challenges, that is one thing. But reclassing for sports on the school's dime is a waste of resources. Work hard. Get better. Wait your turn.

All these schools have rules about integrity and honor. Well what about it? There is an inherent hypocrisy in letting this happen. I'm not bitter. My kid doesn't "stink" or anything like that -- which I'm sure people will get on here and say -- he can't hang with the big boys. I'm just disappointed that parents -- and schools -- allow kids to take the easy way out, to play down.

Agree with most, but don't think for a second that a private schools success in sports doesn't translate into higher enrollment and Alumni participation. If you took sports away from those schools, how would it change the student landscape and enrollment?

Who is saying anything about taking sports away from the schools? When I was in school, lacrosse was just as big as it is now. But no one reclassed. Alum still gave their money, kids still got money to attend the high schools where they were recruited to play. Now it's become a "if you can't beat them, join them" mentality by the parents and the schools. And it's shameful. Like the person said above -- money is given for kids to repeat a grade for a sport. Not for educational purposes. Money is given for a kid to be bigger than other kids and look better than other kids because he is older. Instead of telling that kid - hey, hit the gym, hit the wall, get a trainer - they say, here, repeat a grade. Cheat. Play against people who are younger, smaller, weaker. Beat up on kids who can't afford to repeat, who don't get money from their school to reclass. It's so ridiculous I can't even believe it happens. Yet it does. And everyone just pretends likes it is okay. What a horrible lesson for kids.